Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kindergarten Steady Beat Icons

Hello All!
Hope you enjoyed my first post. Now for an exciting glance into what I do in my music room! I'm going to make a few separate posts so it doesn't seem so long and wordy.

Right now, my Kindergarteners are working on learning how to keep a steady beat (heartbeat as they call it). We're doing a lot of "Copy Miss Klein!" to make sure they can move at a steady tempo. I introduced steady beat by making them move with the 2nd movement of Symphony No. 101 by Haydn (aka "The Clock"). They liked this because they could hear the steady beat playing the "tick-tock" of the clock. Now that they can keep a steady beat (for the most part), we have started tapping pictures on the steady beat. I made cute tapping sheets to match the theme of our songs, laminated them and cut them apart. I have the kids put them on the ground in front of them and tap left to right, counting as they go (the counting helps them to keep a steady beat, and keeps them moving from left to right). Here's my penguin icons that I use with the song "Doing the Penguin" from the Making Music series by Silver Burdett.

1 comment: